Linda Blair Lives Here!

Wednesday, July 20

Something is happening to my sweet, kind, usually agreeable son. He's
almost 6 and has developed a smart mouth which while funny at times,
I'm trying to squash. He's developed a knack for farting on command
and burping and blowing it in my face - which since I taught him, I
can't be all that mad at, and he's learned to throw fits. Not the kind
you see from a toddler where they lay on the floor and do the rag doll
thing when you try to pick him up. No, these are temper tantrums of
a grander scale. These are the kind that make me think "Hmmm, either
Linda Blair lives here or I need an exorcist".

Trying to be the understanding - where is this coming from parent, I
hope it's because life has been too much for him lately. We moved 4
weeks ago, he's been to SoCal, he's made new friends and now spends
hours running through yards and playing hard, and he's just off. I
hope that's it, I hope these irrational, can't calm him down,
hysterical, head spinning, body floating off the bed fits stop
because, frankly, I can't do it. Last night he fell asleep in our
room watching TV, we carried him over to his bed, he kind of woke up,
realized what was happening, and then lost it. He didn't want to
sleep in his room, he didn't want to go to sleep, he didn't want me to
leave, he wanted me to get out, he couldn't explain what was wrong. I
tried holding him, he flailed so I let go. I tried yelling at him -
he was screaming too loud to hear me, I tried leaving, he flung
himself at the doorway so I couldn't get past. Finally I just laid
down on his bed and didn't say a word. 10 minutes later, realizing
that I was not going to do a damn thing, he got in laid beside me,
took a deep breath and smiled at me - he was back.

This morning same thing happens again. And odd again too. I'm giving
hugs and kisses goodbye and all of a sudden it's, I don't want you to
go. I explain that my job gives me money which lets us live here,
etc. I need to go. Give him a big hug and ask him to come down and
wave goodbye which is our morning ritual. Instead of the OK, I get
the demon show again. This time there was weird flailing and bouncing
on knees (had to have hurt) red face yelling, and getting so worked
up that he's no longer thinking straight. The difference this morning
was that I was frustrated, felt the clock ticking and new I needed to
leave and confused - who was this he-devil that has inhabitied my sons
body? I, being the super mom that I am, did the worst thing possible -
got right up in his face and yelled - CALM DOWN. You know because
when an adult screams at you, you always relax. Then Hubby, eager to
help raise the children, decided had had enough. When pushed hubby
turns into a Dad from the 50's and just starts shouting out
punishments "You'll be on restrictions" "No TV or Games today" "Quiet
now or you'll be in your room ALL DAY". AIIIEEE.

Finally I just left. Walked out of the whole mess, and hoped that my
departure would settle things down. Got to work and am more than
distracted by the whole thing - my whole being is off. I feel
horrible for leaving with my child in such a state, but he wasn't
rational, and I didn't know how to calm him down. I'm sitting here at
work worried. Is this the sigh of some deivant behavior? Is this
just overload? Do I have a child with a raging temper like the kind
that I've heard about in hubby's family and frankly scares me? Am I a
bad Mom for leaving today? Could I have taken the few extra minutes
to make it better? What will fix this? Will he do it again tonight?

I'm not sure where to go from here. I thought he and I talking
through last night had helped, clearly not. I'm not sure if once he's
back on a school routine and out of this summer frenzy he'll feel
better so I should just wait a few months and ride the storms when
they come. The disciplinarian in me says I need to teach him this
behavior will not be tolerated, but watching him this morning, it was
clear he was not in control of himself. Oh god, what if he starts
killing bunnies in the backyard and my sweet kind child goes away?
Ok, I'm over reacting a little, but if you'd seen it, you'd be shocked
yourself.

I guess I'll do what I always do in these moments, arm myself with the
most information possible - book order at Amazon pending, email all my
girls for advice - and yes, 'll take any adivce you readers may have.
I have web stats, so I know you're reading, NOW is the time for some
input. And, for any of you Catholics out there - got a good preist
and some holy water you could send my way. If all else fails, I'm
going for exorcism. (I have such warped humor) I can see my child in
therapy 20 years from now.... "And then my Mom threw water at me and
yelled - OUT BEAST". Seriously, I'm a little freaked by this, and yes
100 bones in the thearpy jar. *sigh*


posted by Amy's Working @ 10:17 AM 


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com