No momma, my name is....

Thursday, June 16

I have made a fatal error in parenting.  To overcompensate for my feelings of abandonment and inadequacy, I have showered my daughter with affection and praise.  Her father has made her the apple of his eye, and now at the tender age of 3 she knows it.  Today as I was leaving the house, I said my usual "Goodbye Missy" to which she replied, "I not Missy, I Princess Missy".  Oh my.  Now I know my own daughter, her apple didn't fall far from my tree and to see her first point out I was wrong, and then in the most serious, I totally believe what I'm saying face, declare that she is royalty, I knew it, I was screwed.  In a different time, I would have thought the comment cute or endearing, but you had to be there to see it, it was the look she gave. She is royalty, she is a princess and the rest of the family better be ready.

Secretly I love this, I love her confidence, I love that she sees herself as worthy of such an austere title.  But standing there this morning I had the movie moment where the world spins and the future rushes before me.  Her standing there at 16, long beautiful blond hair, hands on her hips, the same face, and her demanding that her royal highness gets what she wants; demanding the best for her princess self.  I guess I should think about knocking her down a few pegs, make sure she knows the importance of humility and modesty.  YUCK!   I a going to feed her inner-highness,  I'm going to insist that she only date men worthy of being called prince charming, and I'm going to teach her about how royalty works hard to take care of the estate and makes sure the estate grows to support them.

I can hear the lectures now - hell my mom would give me one if she knew this is how I felt - lots of talk about how the harsh reality will slap her in the face eventually and then this style of parenting will leave her totally fucked up. You know why I say no to that - because I know lots of girls who grew up as a princess, who had lots of confidence and made opportunities for themselves, who demanded their subjects be loyal, and who demanded the best for themselves.  Here's a clue, it's not fun being the pauper, it's much easier being the princess.  Why do think Cinderalla ends up the princess - you don't see the sliper get lost and she goes back to scrubbing floors.  Will she have her ups and downs, you bet, but if she believes herself royalty, then bully for her.

And me, well, simply, if she is the princess, that makes me - The Queen.  And it's good to be the Queen.


posted by Amy's Working @ 1:18 PM 


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com