Mother to Mother

Friday, September 2

I started the week thinking - dumb ass stayed behind what'd you think was going to happen, and am ending Friday more liberal than I've been in a long time. To see the truly poor and helpless and old and young on the news every night is almost more than I can stand. I had planned to write about the Kindergarten orientation for little man today, but I find myself too distracted, wondering if the kids I keep seeing on TV have water, hearing of babies dying from dehydration, it overwhelms my normal selfishness. As I said earlier in the week I tend to avoid stuff like this, I distract myself by focusing on college football, or is Jen really dating Vince, but the pictures of kids started showing up, and then I saw grandma covered by a blanket, dead in her wheel chair and I couldn't look away.


I, like Emily find myself angry at the situation. How can reporters manage to get to all these places and fucking case of water can't? I will refrain from this turning into a political rant abou the current administration, although trust me, I could go on for hours. Instead, I think that all of us as mothers need to do what we do best and protect the youngin's and make sure that people know the rest of us are pretty darned pissed off that so many people are in need and will be for some time. Yes, it seems to be getting better today, but it's a long road out of hell. I'm not a person who likes to move the masses, I tend to be putt off by chartify fund raisers and all the give your money here, I'm more of a grass roots kind of girl - guess it's the cynicim in me, or maybe because i worked for a "non-profit" and know what can come off the top. But still, we all need to do our part - write you congressman and tell him that you expect him to be on this like flies on shit. Look for opportunities to take some of those toys you know your kids don't play with and send them to people who need them. Been There is looking to connect people directly, I'm sure more things like this will pop up across the great blogger/internet land.


I hope the situation improves, I'm proud the Mayor called bullshit on all the press conferences and spelled out just how bad the situation truly is. If you are in an area affected, you have my prayers, if you are a person helping those in need, you have my undying gratitude, and if you are a mother, don't look away, these are people who need mothering, and we're just the women to do it. And if you're GW or some other talking head in this administration - well, I'll save my words for you after everyone is in a shelter with a bottle of water in their hand and we have time to process the last few days so accountability and answers are not knee jerk reactions. But please, be honest, this shit is major and everyone needs to move heaven and earth to fix it. NOW.


posted by Amy's Working @ 3:49 PM 


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com