Put me in coach!

Wednesday, April 6

I am a fiercly competitive mother who has entered the world of little league, and I can already tell you that in 18 years, I will be the mother of a future Hall of Famer! How do I know? Simply, first tee-ball practice.

That's right, I said it, tee-ball. You would have been so proud of me! Rather than act like an over-zealous Donovan McNabb mother, I was quiet, cheered a little and tried to make nice to the other parents. Meanwhile, inside, all I kept thinking was - my kid rocks and your kid can't even hold the bat!

Here's what I don't get - why would you sign you kid up for a sport like baseball and never put a glove or bat in their hand before the first practice!!!! There were kids there that had no idea on how to wear a glove, hold a bat, or even throw a ball. Now I know that I suck at sports, so I should not be making fun of 5 year olds, but really, teach your kid how to swing a fucking bat!

So after 45 minutes of throwing, fielding and batting practice, the coach gets em setup in the field with one kid up to bat. Buddy was a very shallow short stop which meant a) he had to field EVERY ball and b) the coach knew he was the best! So, first kid up to bat - I look out at the field, and the kids are lookin' around wandering away in some cases and then I see Buddy - looking at the batter, knees bent, glove between legs at the ready and I'm thinking - hello Cal Ripken! Then, the fun began - ball is hit, Buddy runs to the ball (that's right runs to it, doesn't wait for it to come to him - I swear no one told him to do this) then he tries to throw it to First and the kid isn't looking so he says "hey" and looks at the coach and says, he's not paying attention!!!! Fast foward 2 hits later, Buddy continues to try and make an out but none of the basemen are paying attention so next kid up - brian gets the ball and goes to throw it to third (there was no catcher or I just know he would have tried to make the play at home) and he yells at the kid "catch the ball" with this really passionate voice. 3rd basemen isn't looking, buddy rolls the ball to third base! Coach says "why'd you roll the ball?" " mom won't let me throw the ball unless the person is looking, I thought if I rolled it and it touched the base the kid would be out!" Brilliant.

Finally, everyone batted except Buddy and it was his turn - kid goes up and whack - ball sails over the infield - yes I said sailed - lands in the outfield and continues to roll - assistant coach goes after the ball along with the kid running to 2nd! Buddy proceeds to guide the remaing base runners around the bases and when he touches home plate -looks at me and gives me shy thumbs up.

Ok now in case I didn't make it clear earlier, no other kid hit the ball past the middle of the in-field - then brian's sails it out of there and all the parents go whoooooaaaaahhh! I grab hold of myself and don't jump up and down and cheer - instead just clap and say good job buddy. Deep down, I was thinking - holy cow, either these kids all suck, or mine has a huge amount of talent and someday I'm going to have one of those great million dollar beach houses in Duck!!!!

Like I said, I'm a little nuts!


posted by Amy's Working @ 4:47 PM 


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com