You are NOT fabulous

Friday, April 11

The princess has not had a great first year of school. She's had more discipline problems than we expected and recently she announced she didn't want anyone to come to her birthday party from her class because none of them were her friends.

Knowing princess, to declare she had no friends is like telling me the moon will rise at 9am and the sun will show up at midnight. It simply goes against her and her nature.

Well today we figured it out. In the context of a meeting about a speech issue she has I was finally able to arrange the peices of the picture to figure out what was really happening. Her teacher, simply a dud, no personality, boring woman.

Lets hold the why the fuck are you teach Kindergarden lady questions for another day okay? Instead, I sit here knowing there is not a damn thing I or princess can do about it. No before the teachers come at me hard, know that I am the daughter of a teacher, Buffalo Gal is a teacher and my sister in law in a teacher, I am all but a made man with these mafioso's and there is zero chance I would speak out against one unless I was damn sure.

I was sitting today in this conference and what hit me was the difference in reaction to my child from the speech therapist to her teacher. I will be the first to admit my kid has a future as a soap star, but she is smarth, enthusiastic and teachers usually love to have her in their class. So the speech therapist is talking about the assessment, the activities they did and I could tell, she gets it - then I turn to look to the teacher and you can just tell, my kid is a pain in her ass.

Think about it, as an adult, we know the duds right - it's not that they're introverted they're just beige and I have a child that lives in neon technicolor with glitter. As one of them was talking I just quietly watched the teacher. hair looked like she cut it herself, several jokes and just conversastional humor fell flat with her, clothing unkempt and not polished and I realized - every day my kid goes to school and thinks - lady get yourself together.

YOU ARE NOT FABULOUS.

I'm now on a fact finding mission to lock down the first grade teacher. I will move from silent - hey she's always good for a check mom to - yes it's me again, coming for another meeting, lets talk about what I expect for my daughter. Should be a fun month but there is zero chance I'm going to have her flame snuffed out and instead I will work to fight the boring, ordinary lady that is this teacher. I will teach the little miss how to be counter culture and fight the establishment through well placed jokes and being mildly subversive without ever having anything that can be used against you. I know how to fuck with authority and it's time to share this wisdom with the next generation of women in our clan.


posted by Amy's Working @ 6:03 PM 


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com