Unromantic?

Monday, February 14

The question of the day "so what are you guys doing for Valentines?"
I hate this question. I'm not into Valentine's day, and I just don't get the whole candy, cards, gifts thing. For what - a day of love? Please! for the birth of my children I got diamonds! Pre-determined day of love - save your money. I wish I could tell you that it's because I think every day should be Valentines day filled with love and hugs or some equally sentimental bullshit, or even better, that I'm cheap and don't want to waste money on a Hallmark-ified day, but it's just I never have liked this day. There are 3 like this for me: Valentine's, Fourth of July and New Years. I just don't get them, they always seem anticlimatctic, and I don't understand when others get really excited. Today is all about a card and a box of chocolates - what am I Forest fucking Gump?

I supose there are years of therapy needed to understand why I am this way - but the real winner in all of this is Hubby. He knows he's off the hook for anything major, he knows I have no intention of showing up with a card or going out for a romantic diner. He knows that if he puts in any amount of effort it shows up as a win in his column. And he knows out of obligation I'll usually put out tonight.

The kids on the otherhand are too young to understand just how fucked up their mother is, so I go through the motions for them. Yes even preschool celebrates this stupid holiday, but to make sure no one's feelings are hurt, you have to address all of the invitations to "Friend" that way a 5 year old doesn't feel rejected because Little B thinks he smells and doesn't want to give him a valentines. I guess dissapointment and hearbreak doesn't need to be taught yet, but I'm going to be really upset if we don't start writing names on these things by 3rd grade! My bet is that Little B will always want to have lots to hand out - this year he made sure they're were some for the "kids who come after school" when asked which kids I got a wicked grin and knew they were for WHORES - I mean girls in Kindergarden. Missy on the otherhand found the bag for her class and ripped 3 suckers off the invitations so now we may be short - I think she takes after me!

So tonight's plans, spagetti with meatballs, finish tiling a bathroom floor, and quick romp with hubby - how romantic.


posted by Amy's Working @ 12:39 PM 


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com